WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Article - A solution to phishing

From: exon <exon () home se>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:47:16 +0100

Ian wrote:
On 14 Dec 2004 at 13:43, Adam Tuliper wrote:

<snip>

Personally, I like stringing them on and giving them false information and
wasting their time. Its fun, I recommend all of you try it : )

You make have stumbled across a solution here ;)

Why not code an automated system that fills in their bogus log in screens with false information?

There are only a limited number of banking web sites around so a template could be created for each.

If enough people join in these phishers would get swamped with information and wouldn't know the good from the bad.

Thoughts ?

This is known to be effective against spammers which use href-links in email to verify 'live' email-addresses. It's usually highly effective if you find something that looks like
www.some-site.com/remove_me.asp?m=email () somewhere org

I used to get around 400 spam emails a day, so I wrote a quick script to connect to a couple of these urls a couple of million times with auto-generated email-addresses. Sometime during the second night of running I kept getting connection refused and spam dropped down to around 40 / day.

Another anti-mischief act was when some organisation (can't remember which) found out the IRL address of a spammer who had used their mail-server and signed him up for every free hard-copy snailmail ads and catalogues they could find. As it turned out, the spammer received some four tons of advertising papers and leaflets through his mailbox in a week, effectively causing a DoS on his own apartment. Retaliation can be so fun. ;)

/exon