WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: An Open Letter (and Challenge) to the Application Security Consortium

From: Jimi Thompson <jimi.thompson () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:00:07 -0600

I need to agree that there needs to be some standards for "truth in
advertising" for IT products.  I've gotten to the point that I don't
even want to talk to anyone's sales critters any more.  I've asked
more than one to leave and not come back because they told some real
whoppers or offered me "gifts" in an effort to sell me me their
product.  There are too many vendors who send sales people out into
the field and tell them to say "whatever it takes to close the deal".
From my perspective, if I'm spending $50K of my employer's money on
your product, either method is highly unethical.  If your company is
that poorly run, will you be around when I need service?  If your
company is that unethical, do I really want your product doing god
knows what on my network? If your company has to resort to these kinds
of practices to close a sale, how crappy is your product?

If you want to sell me something, you had better give me the product
in an unaltered state for 90-120 days and I'll tell you if I want it
or not.  No demo = no interest from me = no sale.  This goes for more
than just security products.  We recently puchased a help desk type
ticketing system for handling our internal work flow.  3 major vendors
got cut out of the running because the only demo that they would give
us was some flash or some other "precooked" demo on their web site.
That doesn't cut it.  I've been lied to far too many times to shuck
out a single dollar of my employers money without a demo period on
ANYTHING.

What all the marketing wonks don't seem to get is that lying to
techies is bad.  It's bad because we WILL find out.  Your  Fantabulous
SuperWidget2000 will fail to do something that you swore to me it
would do or it will do something that you swore to me would never
happen.  Either way, the truth is coming out.  Once I find out that
your company's marketing materials lied to me, I assume that your
whole company is populated with crooks and liars and I'll probably
never do business with you again.  If it's just one person, I can
excuse that as ignorance, incompetence, etc, but the actual brochures,
et. al. published by the company are a totally different issue.

Let me explain to the marketing wonks what that means.  I have an
average working expectancy of 50 years.  Average time on a job is 3.5
years.  That means I'll hold 14 jobs in the course of my working life.
 If the average shop is 50 people., that's going to be 700 people who
hear about my terrible experience every time your company's name is
mentioned.  Each and every one of those 700 will encounter an another
700 people in their working life as well and they'll repeat the story
of my bad experience with those horrible liars.

2 cents,

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:19:23 -0800, ban.marketing.bs () hushmail com