WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Sample JAVA application

From: "Michael Silk" <michaels () phg com au>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:51:44 +1100

Hi Tal,

        Of course, most of these issues are only appropriate when the
malicious code will be running on the same JVM as the "safe" code. I
think what the OP was asking for is specific problems with java *WEB*
applications; in the web scenario (an attacker external to the site)
then none of these issues apply ... (except maybe "storing secrets"
which isn't, obviously, java specific).

        Also most of your comments rely on a proper security manager
being in place around the evil code ... i.e. consider "make everything
final" ... You can undo and set final fields via reflection in java if
the security manager lets you. And all the other things (seriaizable,
etc) are totally context dependant ...

-- Michael