WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Securing encrypted data in RAM vs MSSQL

From: "Mark Curphey" <mark () curphey com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:44:12 -0400

Hi Martin,

Heuristically ? What tools ? Are you referring to Pseudo collisions ?

If you can pick up a pattern (apart from its entropy) of any sort on the
cipher text of a one way hash function then it is by definition broken, or
am I missing something? I maybe wrong but you maybe referring to pseudo
collisions as described by Hands Dobbertin in his paper in the 90's? If so
there is a big difference between pseudo collisions and real world attacks
(and his work was on MD4 not 5). I am not aware of any work proving real
collisions, anyone ?

Pre-computing dictionaries is one thing although implementations can be
designed so this becomes impractical. Dictionary attacks will always be
possible but again with a suitable salt and password entropy this should not
be practical.

As with most crypto (IMHO) the implementation usually lets the design down !
I am all for picking holes in implementations but I think need to be careful
to say "there is always a way to recover the real password or login from a
hash".