WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: HacMeBank - help lesson 1c

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:18:23 -0500

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 21:12, Marc Davison wrote:
EXEC MASTER..XPCMDSHELL DIR-- command

It just comes back with an error saying permission
denied and owner is
dbo. I set this up on a clean machine and want to
allow people to run
this command to show the dangers of misconfigured
servers but am not
sure where I went wrong in set up. I thought that I
had followed the
guide.

Perhaps you used a recent version of a database that has better security
settings out-of-the-box? I haven't investigated further but it appears
that recent MS SQL servers have by default public execute permissions
removed from xp_cmdshell and sp_cmd.

So check and make sure that "public" has execute rights on those stored
procedures you want to exploit.

Question to the list: Is that true that the default stored procedures
permissions in MS SQL have improved? (as in removed "public" from access
list). I don't have a copy handy to check a fresh install. Perhaps one
of the "dedicated" web pen testers could shed some light on this.

Thanks,
Frank