WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Using SSL private key for cookie's HMAC

From: "Jeff Williams" <jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:37:48 -0400

Simon,

I'm curious too. Assuming you use the private key properly, are there any
risks associated with using the private key for purposes other than SSL.
Could the SSL private key be safely used as a "master key" for encrypting
and signing other things on the web server?

I suspect the reasons to use a separate key are for better key management.
You'll want to change keys periodically and it might just be easier if you
don't have to change the site's SSL cert as well.  So I think it's an
interesting idea, but it's probably just as easy to have a separate key for
purposes other than SSL.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams
Aspect Security, Inc.