WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Session Management and IP address - experiences?

From: avarni () tech cj com
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:14:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, David Wall @ Yozons, Inc. wrote:

Is it perhaps exceptable, as it happens only in rare cases? If this is the
case, one might present the user another login where he can prove his
identity again and continue with the session.

But what ACTUAL problem are you trying to avoid?  Have you seen someone step
in the middle of one of your users activities, steal a session cookie, and
then impersonate them?  If not, perhaps you are solving problems you don't
really have, so why put the headache in for those who will have issues
because they are being such proxies?

Well, take this example:

Attacker exploits an XSS problem somewhere in your web-app. Member logs
in, triggers the XSS, at which point attacker instantly gains access
to that member's account.  If it were safe to bind an IP address to
a session (which I don't think it is), it would make the attack a lot
more difficult.

And yes, I've seen this done a few times.