WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: ASP authentication

From: George Capehart <gwc () acm org>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:10:51 -0400

On Thursday 26 August 2004 13:50, Bénoni MARTIN allegedly wrote:
Hi List,

I am wondering what was the most secure way to allow users to access
pages after authentication, i.e.: user authenticates in toto.asp, and
after that, access is granted to tata_1.asp, tata_2.asp, ...,
tata_n.asp. The trouble is obviously to ask the user once for his
login / password (just in tot.asp), and to allow him to get to the
other pages without asking each time his credentials.

Googling around, I saw a couple of ways to meet my needs, but all
seem to be weak: - I can set a hidden field where I can say "yes, he
is authenticated" or "no, he is not", but anyone a little bit skilled
can create a fake request having this set up by hand (with a proxy !
), - I can check a session number or smth like that on each
page...but this does not seem very reliable, - I can check IP
adress...but when you use AOL for instance, IP adresses can change !

So none of the ways I found seem to be the best...

Kerberos has been around a long time and we understand very well how to
use it to authenticate users and how to use the ticket as an
authorization token.  Rather than reinventing the wheel, why not just
create a session that uses a Kerberos ticket?  Now, there are lots of
ways to implement and manage sessions, but, if you're going to do
authentication, you're going to want to do some kind of session
management anyway, aren't you?

Cheers,

/g