WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Problems with IIS

From: "Dinis Cruz" <dinis () ddplus net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:02:31 +0100

Sorry about the delay in replying to this.

IIS 6.0 in W2k3 (when compared to IIS 5.0 in W2k) is better at surviving DoS
attacks due to its new IIS architecture, namely:

  - The new application pools which allow you to create dozen of process to
host your website(s).
  - The Worker Threads (inside the Application pools)
  - The new HTTPSYS kernel driver which handles all HTTP requests
  - Its improved monitoring features and performance

The main thing is the App Pools which would allow (under attack) to
distribute the affected website in such way that current customers would not
be affected.

For Dos Asp.Net also gives you several methods to identify malicious traffic
(in ASP Classic you would have to use ISAPI)

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I haven't been involved in a real-live DoS
attack, so I don't have code samples to share.

One of the vulnerability tests that I want to add to the SAM'SHE (Security
Analyser for Microsoft's Shared Hosting Environments) Open Source tool that
I am developing at OWASP is DoS vulnerabilities. Hopefully I will be able to
do this over the next couple of months (I will post my results here).

Dinis Cruz
.Net Security Consultant
DDPlus