WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Growing Bad Practice with Login Forms

From: <athena () buyukada co uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:50:03 +0100 (BST)

A sidetrack, but this sounds like an effective silver bullet
solution--I'm not aware of an application or browser plugin that shows
the _effective_ source for any page, or perhaps lets you select areas
of a page and see all the scripting that pertains to it, but there must
be one, if this problem exists.
Of course, this still wouldn't help the average user, but it would
provide an extra level of defense to someone willing to do a bit of
extra work.

<MS Specific stuff>
Hmmm... You *could* use the shdocvw.dll interface in IE to do this kind of
stuff via onbeforenavigate2 (I think), but it'd only show up when you
click on a link. There is a class with some stuff that allows you to
extract all the links in an mshtmldocument, but I haven't tried it on
complex pages yet. If I get the chance does anyone know of some
particularly nasty javascript driven pages with dodgy links an nary a href
to be seen? Let me know and I'll give it a try, then try to post back this
afternoon with my results.</MS Specific stuff>

<Suitable for non-MS Browser users>
This post requires Internet Explorer 6 or above to be relevant. Anyone
know of an equivalent Moz/Safari interface that could be (ab)used?</Suitable for non-MS Browser users>

Steve