WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Secure software development documents

From: "Mark Curphey" <mark () curphey com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:17:40 -0400

With regards to testing specifically this is a draft of OWASP Testing Part
1. It is essentially a high level view of what to think about when building
a testing function.

It is draft but as we have been threatening to release it for ions I thought
I would at least put this version on Sourceforge to download and get a
flavor of what we (OWASP) are saying. It is not finished (we have a face to
face this Weds to finally conclude this part and the re-write) so please
just read the Chapters 7 and 8 in this context. Chapters 4, 5 and 6 are
getting a re-write (significant prune) this week but this may help.

It won't please everyone, especially the silver bullet brigade, but it is a
good attempt and consensus that most people who have been responsible for
building and running security testing of web app software in large dev shops
have agreed on. You have to think strategically and testing after
development is too little too late (despite some marketing claims to the
contrary).

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/owasp/TheOWASPTestingProjectPart1Draft.pd
f?download

This is an interesting point in the software security industry I think. I
have seen two distinct camps forming, those trying to solve the problem by
promoting building better software and tackle the root causes (people,
process and technology) and those selling shinier and shinier silver bullets
(software or services) ;-(

Basically we are saying you need to test your SDLC process itself and then
discrete parts of it such as requirements, design, implementation and
deployment. Today people seem to have a fixation on testing deployment only
which is too little too late and too in-efficient.

Note: As I was typing this I saw a mail from Skip Carter that re-enforces
this.