WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Finally - Curphey award 2004 to SPI Dynamics

From: <PPowenski () oag com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:59:36 +0100

In addition to the points below.....

Even though Security awareness should be provided to developers to
understand the implication of creating code it should not be as heavy
burden as it is turning into. The aesoteric aspects that some of the
attacks take and the combination of events to gain access is an entirely
different stream of thought that Developers ususally do not focus on. At
least the ones I have come across.

the core problem related to security with all the api's, tools,
scripting engines, and compilers can be attributed to those who created
them for developers to create code.
If a developer has to engage in working out for himself the complex
issues of using the api and where it touches the system, its access
control mechanisms, and paths to network then the burden detracts
significantly from getting the job done. Understanding these aspects is
a large undertaking in itself. Most manufacturers do not want many folks
to know these details as well.

If the founders of our set of developer tools had enough insight to
consider this it would probably be much better for all of us.

just my2c
paul