WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Threat Modelling

From: "Mark Curphey" <mark () curphey com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 09:21:38 -0400

I don't disagree with anything specifically you say but here are a few
observations. In general IMHO this conversation started discussing apples
(threat modeling to build better technical solutions) and is now trying to
compare oranges to apples (info sec management of systems).

It is easy to abstract security to a higher and higher level to become more
comfortable with your answers or to find a valid objection. Should I review
the political stability of the country where the code is being created in? I
am sure someone can come up with a good argument for it but in practical
terms you have to set a scope or decompose complex problems into smaller
more manageable ones to be successful. Big generic risk models are bulky,
costly and seem to have been ineffective if you look at the landscape today.
I have done work for various companies where they spend massive amounts of
money developing formal risk models for systems that all miss significant
issues. I don't disagree that policy is a fundamental place to start but as
Dr Phil says (so I am told!), you don't loose weight with a gym membership!

I actually think you probably hit the nail on the head when you talk about
"applications of this class". The detail you elude to I have never seen in
any RA tools. If it were it would be able to support the threat modeling
process of the type defined in writing secure code etc I think that would be
great. Hopefully the MS tool or others that I think are brewing will.

I think it boils down to the fact that you have to choose the right tool for
the right job. The thread was about modeling technical security using a
process that has been come to be called threat modeling. There are other
techniques such as risk assessment for higher level / bigger picture stuff
but IMHO they are not the right tool for the right job. There are clearly
overlaps but the devil is often in the details with software security. If I
want to race a car I am going to choose the right sort of car, not one that
meets a set of high level requirements such as having 4 wheels, an engine
and a steering wheel.

You certainly don't need a specific tool for each application but do need a
tool that is specific to software development and the uniqueness that
software security brings. I would argue that traditional risk assessment
tools and techniques have been around for decades but are clearly not
working on software security today. Actually I am sure a set of criteria and
a methodology can be developed that would fit under various tools frameworks
today, after all what we are discussing is a subset of the bigger picture,
higher level risk assessment.

But for modeling technical security of software designs, I have to say I
still don't believe high level risk assessment tools have a strong place to
play.