WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Tying a session to an IP address

From: "Toni Heinonen" <Toni.Heinonen () teleware fi>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 22:48:44 +0300

You're assuming that routers care about a packets origin.

That's not a far-fetched assumption. Of course, your perimeter router (or perhaps firewall) is supposed to filter all
traffic clearly not from the internet (127/8, 224, APIA, RFC1918 and of course your own addresses) and it isn't
far-fetched to think ISPs do filtering on their clients' outbound traffic. My ISP does this, I can't spoof my address.

Also, the ISP's routers at different connection points across the Internet can do reverse filtering based on their
routing information (if a packet says it's coming from 193.65.76 and that network is by routing information only behind
another interface, it's discarded). I've heard of ISPs that do this too.

--
TONI HEINONEN
     TELEWARE OY