WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: secure software engineering methodology

From: Gunnar Peterson <gunnar () arctecgroup net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:37:07 -0600

I did a Blackhat presentation on integrating security concerns into software development methodologies. The presentation addresses some artifacts which already exist in a "normal" software development methodology which can be used to address security aspects, and other artifacts which are security specific but need to be mapped to the process. Slides are at: www.arctecgroup.net/articles.htm (and at www.blackhat.com).

As to the question on RUP v. XP for security, both have elements which can be useful for security architecture, but neither gives a holistic treatment to security. So there is extensive tailoring to make either methodology address security in an end to end sense.

-Gunnar