WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: testing web app security

From: Steve Suehring <csec-nospam () braingia org>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:58:00 -0600

You might try Nessus and Nikto as a starting point for tools.

www.securityfocus.com has a list of tools as well as helpful articles.

http://www.securityfocus.com/tools?platid=-1&cat=77&offset=20

Insecure.org has a similar list:
http://www.insecure.org/tools.html

SANS is good too.  Otherwise check the archives from this list for other
ideas.

Steve

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 02:33:52PM -0500, Michael Cunningham wrote:
Folks,

I am going to have to take on the task of testing software
applications my company produces as they roll through the
QA/UAT process for security concerns (can't hire anyone and software
to automate the testing seems to be very expensive). They are
mainly web based applications with a database backend
and some custom java and C programs. I am aware of how sql
injection, buffer overflows, cross site scripting, and other
security programming problems work, but I dont have a whole lot
of experience applying this knowledge to application testing.

Are there any training courses or documents/books you can
suggest that would help me learn the skills I need to
make this happen? Does anyone have a site that lists tools
(open source preferred) That I could use to help me test these
applications?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Mike