WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Removing Apache Banner on IBM Websphere HTTP Server (Apache) for Windows

From: "Thiago Lima" <thiagolima () webforce com br>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:25:38 -0300

        With this directive you can't remove the "Apache" word.

        All you can do is remove the built-in modules and apache version
from been show.

        You'll allways have a "Server: Apache" header.

        I belive that apache does that to keep beating IIS in the "most used
http server" benchmarks.

        But you can allways hack the code.

[]s

It's (unfortunately) not possible to change the server signature in
httpd.conf. With Apache 1.3 I would recommend changing it with

It is possible to change the server signature in Apache 1.3.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#servertokens :
"ServerTokens directive
This directive controls whether Server response header field
which is sent back to clients includes a description of the
generic OS-type of the server as well as information about
compiled-in modules"