WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: QUESTION....DOES THIS CONSIDER TO BE A BUG?

From: Bill Pennington <billp () boarder org>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:47:38 -0800

No this is not Directory Traversal.

http://www.abs.co.il/../about.asp gets turned into http://www.abs.co.il/about.asp by the web server. You are not traversing any directories. You just happened to find a file with the same name in 2 locations on a web site. Happens all the time.

I cannot read hebrew so I don't know what the about.asp in the root directory says if it is disclosing some top secret message then maybe so are on to something but it is not Directory Traversal.