WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Requesting help with WebAppSec Game Development

From: Joe McCray <joe () rootwars org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:30:47 -0400

Yes I know - I've done a lot of reading about webgoat. The draw backs that I
can foresee would be that I want to restrict the playing of the games to
rootwars members, and I don't really want to run it in java (don't want to load
Tomcat, and don't want to open port 8080 on the box so anyone could get to it
either). I'd actually like to have each level be a seperate java applet that
can be embedded into webpages that are located in the members section of the
site. My other issue is that although I do know C, and Perl I don't know java,
and I don't really feel comfortable developing something on webappsec as I'm
very new to the subject myself (I'm an IDS guy). I'm hoping that a level based
game like this would be a good precursor to actually having web application
security courses at rootwars in a year or so.

I've had a lot of discussions with people on the subject of teaching webappsec
and I'm finding that without strong fundamentals in programming it's almost
impossible to teach. Most of the people that come to my site are very new to
security. That's another reason that I really liked the level based games. It
would force people to read more, and communicate with other people in the
forums on the site about the levels in the game because they'd be challenging
while at the same time allowing people to progress at their own pace. I think
you'd loose way too many people in a course on webappsec (especially with the
current rootwars.org audience).

I'd love to get more feedback from you guys on this subject.

Joe McCray
joe () rootwars org
http://www.rootwars.org
Hacking Games   Hands-on Courses   HackLab Access

Quoting "Jeff Williams @ Aspect" <jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com>:

Joe,

What are you thinking of exactly? You could easily customize WebGoat to be
more like a game.  It's extremely easy to implement new lessons (the hard
part is thinking them through).  To make a new lesson, you just fill a few
methods into a single java class.  It's all dynamically loaded, so you don't
have to change anything else.  If you wanted to make a game of it, just
remove the existing lessons and drop in the ones you want.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams
Aspect Security
Securing your applications at the source
http://www.aspectsecurity.com

Do your developers know the top ten web application security mistakes?