WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: htaccess with apache

From: Lucas Holt <luke () foolishgames com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:48:11 -0500

On Nov 4, 2003, at 2:38 PM, A.D.Douma wrote:

Hello,

I had a similair problem with a cgi script that used a <input type='hidden'
name='success' value=succes.'html'> to point the clients browser to the
"transaction complete page".

Because of this an attacker could read every file on the webserver. Luckily
the /etc/passwd file was shadowed. My question is what else could an
attacker do? Would command execution be possible?

Thanks

Yes as the user the webserver is running as. For example, I did an audit at my former employer once. I got into the webserver through a CGI called Mailman (endymion) which is a pop3 mail checker. The template code had a bug. I was able to execute programs and see the results.. ps, ls, cat, etc. My boss ran all services as nobody like a moron. Basically i could access most files on the system because he made sure read access was available to all the services "in case they needed them." Sadly, i worked for an ISP.

Lucas Holt
Luke () FoolishGames com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)