WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Browser refresh sends username/password after log out -- URGENT

From: Phillip Schroeder <phils () saintjoe edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 13:58:46 -0500

The problem with this, if I remember correctly, is that browsers contain their own "history cache" of sorts, that pays no attention to HTTP directives (such as "Cache-Control: no-cache"). As Ingo said, this is a "feature" of today's browsers used to give the user the closest representation of a page in the browser's history.

I've done quite a bit of web application programming, and I remember doing a bit of research on the subject. Unfortunately, I also remember that the best answer I could come up with was also along the lines of what Ingo had to say: make sure the user knows to close the browser when they are finished with a sensitive transaction.

The only other option is to send a key with each form submission...much like what Ingo already said. It's definitely more work, but you'll be able to sleep at night.

Wow...if this wasn't a plug for Ingo Struck, I don't know what is.

-p

Imre Kertesz wrote:
If I understand this correctly, the application is allowing cacheing of
the credentials. One way to discourage this, from the application's
perspective, is to include a script function such as <FORM
AUTOCOMPLETE="off"> within the splash page script, as well as the
appropriate Cache-Control directive (e.g. "Cache-Control: no-cache").
Just the fact that this cacheing of credentials is possible within a
banking application makes the app a potential target for attackers who
may see it as a treasure trove of vulnerabilities.

-I

--
Phil Schroeder    phils () saintjoe edu    http://phigga.blogspot.com
Computer Systems Analyst / Webmaster        Saint Joseph's College

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
    - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)