WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Problems with most web app auth schemes

From: "George W. Capehart" <gwc () capehassoc com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:45:49 -0400

On Sunday 27 July 2003 12:59 pm, Tim wrote:

<snip>

at sign-up time.  Users can create public keys locally, self-signed,
and never worry about having any 3rd party sign it.

That is true.  *HOWEVER* this misses the point of a PKI, CAs and RAs.
TRUST!!!!   Exactly what is it in a locally-created, self-signed cert
that induced me to have any confidence at all in the validity of the
assertion the cert is making?  This is why PKIs exist.  This is why
CPSs exist.  This is why CAs and RAs exist.  This is why CRLs exist.
(Nominally) to provide the recipient of a public key/cert some small
measure of reason to believe that the holder of the private key that is
the partner of the public key being presented is who they are
representing themselves to be.  Given the approach you recommend above,
I can create a public key with your name in it and become you . . .
Matter of fact, I've just created "your" public (PGP) key and will
attach it to this message.  Problem is, *I* have the private key
associated with it . . .  :->

/g
--
George W. Capehart

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine . . ."
 -- RFC 1925