WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: IP Address Question

From: George Johnson <gjohnson () espgroup net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:03:27 -0400

Robin,

Yes and No. No - not without a lot of other things going on in the background. TCP/IP sends the packets back to their originating address, so if you pretend to be a different IP, and send in an authentication request, the answer will go back to the place that you were pretending to be.

Yes - If you can hi-jack the owners of the originating address space or if you are on the same ethernet segment (DNS cache poison, man-in-the-middle, etc...) then you can IP spoof. IP spoofing is generally done with half-open TCP connections (SYN floods, etc...) or with UDP attacks (DOS/DDOS attacks) which do not equire the TCP/IP 3-way handshake.

Hope it helps.

George

Robin Fordham wrote:

OK, here's a question. Is it possible for a hacker to
impersonate an IP Address with regard to logging into
web applications. The Paros3.0 tool that I'm using to
test Session Hijacking does not let you change your IP
Address, but I wanted to know if it was actually
possible to do? It would help so that I can assess the
probability of a particular attack from occurring.

Cheers

Robin

=====