WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Dictionary and brute forcing web authentication?

From: DownBload <downbload () hotmail com>
Date: 13 Sep 2003 18:14:45 -0000

Hi,

For basic http authentication cracking (I suppose that is your second described situation), you can try my
htpasswdbrute2.pl simple perl script which you can find in this tar.gz archive:

http://www.ii-labs.org/iilabs_web/programs/mixed.tar.gz

bye...

I'm looking for advice on dictionary and brute forcing web =
authentication.
Most of the websites I have access to at work have various kinds of =
forms
based authentication.  I've been playing with a plugin for Sleuth
(httpbrute_plugin.zip) and am having difficulty.

At a minimum I need to give the plugin the user and password fields from =
the
source of the webpage so it knows where to perform the dictionary =
attack.  I
also need a failure string so the plugin knows when it has failed (and =
if it
hasn't failed, theoretically succeeded), but herein lies the problem.  =
I'm
looking at a page called "securedefault.asp" .. When I enter a bogus
username and password, the login screen just displays again .. No =
special
failure message.

Any ideas how to handle this?

Also .. I noticed on some websites that as soon as you go to them, a =
user
and password box pops up.  I am not able to view source on these, either =
in
IE or Sleuth.  In IE the user and password box opens immediately, and in
Sleuth I get a Windows username and password box.  I'm assuming these =
are
*not* basic http authentication?  Any advice on how to dictionary attack
these things?

Thanks!

Mark

DownBload / Illegal Instruction Labs