WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Authentication/Access-control libraries

From: "jdk" <dwall () yozons com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:52:30 -0700

JAAS certainly is the place to go if you are looking for a pluggable
authentication/authorization scheme for Java.

But if you are looking to authenticate parties who you do not otherwise
know, Experian (and Equifax) offer credit-based authentication systems.
These are definitely not open source.  Experian info can be found at
http://www.experian.com/products/authentication_services.html

I'm particularly familiar with Experian and Equifax because we offer these
credit-based authentication services through our Signed & Secured product
which allows businesses to securely send and electronically sign contracts
and other documents.  While we use userid+password authentication, single
sign-on via Oblix Netpoint and secret passwords shared by the
sender/recipients, we also use Experian for those cases where the sender of
a contract needs additional user authentication beyond just identifying them
to our service.  Anyway, credit based authentication may be of interest for
certain needs in your application.

David