WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Concurrent Sessions and User Feedback

From: Jeremy Poteet <jpoteet () tech-partners com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 13:48:08 -0600

Sue,

My concern for harvesting user ids in the two manners you describe is when
applications provide this type of information when only supplied with a user
id.  It sounds like in this application's case, that both a valid login and
password must be provided.  In that case, this feedback can be useful to a
legitimate user of the account, in that they are informed if someone else
may have gained access to the account.

Many systems provide the same feedback you have described when a valid user
id is supplied.  This would be the typical way that user ids can be
harvested.  Login messages such as in this case, registration pages that
report that the user id has already been taken, password reminder screens
that state they do not know a specific user, etc. all can be used in this
manner.

Jeremy Poteet, CISSP
Chief Technology Officer
Technology Partners, Inc.