WebApp Sec mailing list archives

How to prevent Internet Explorer from locally caching pages

From: Adrian Caneva <acaneva () nexttech com ar>
Date: 4 Apr 2003 00:26:55 -0000

Hi,
Expiration headers seem to be ignored by Internet Explorer behind a Proxy
server when using BACK / FORWARD buttons.
On Microsoft's Knowledge Base Article  234067 (HOWTO: Prevent Caching in
Internet Explorer) I've found that in fact this can happen.
And I could verify that, behind a Proxy, IE (6.0, 5.5, 5.0) gets the page
from local disk cache although Expire = -1 header should force it ask the
web server for an updated version.
The only workaround I've found was to place dynamic pages in an https://
environment where (Pragma, no-cache) header prevents IE from storing in
local cache the response.
Any better ideas ?

Thanks very much in advance.
Regards,