WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Reverse Proxy Server?

From: "Harry Chemin" <hchemin () tgen org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:32:42 -0700

I would recommend adding interfaces to your firewall so that you have
both can have several demilitarized zones to serve the functional
requirements you listed below.  At my company, I set up Cisco PIX
firewalls with a remote-access DMZ and web services DMZ.  I have my VPN
concentrators terminating their "inside" connection on the remote access
DMZ and then I put all other servers that require access from the
"untrusted" Internet onto the web services DMZ.  I can control traffic
for all interfaces on my firewalls with separate access-lists and
perform all of my NAT from one location.

                        Internet

                       Edge Routers

                       Edge Switches
                        |        |
                        |        |
                       VPN    PIX Firewalls
                        |      |   |      |
                        |      |   |      |
          Remote Access DMZ-----   |      -----Web Services DMZ

                                 Core
                                 Network

The advantages with this design as that you physically control access to
all of these different networks through a single pair of firewalls.
Logically, this design allows you to create different security policies
for each network segment attached to the different nics on your
firewalls.  This design would also work with IPTables, ipchains,
Checkpoint, etc.

Thanks,

Harry Chemin, CCNA, CISSP
Senior Network Security Engineer