WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: About web server version

From: Jeremiah Grossman <jeremiah () whitehatsec com>
Date: 28 Apr 2003 08:02:15 -0700

On Apache 1.3.27:

Edit "httpd.h" located in "apache_dir/src/include/"
Find the following lines and edit them to whatever you want.

#define SERVER_BASEVENDOR   "Apache Group"
#define SERVER_BASEPRODUCT  "Apache"
#define SERVER_BASEREVISION "1.3.27"

Recompile and reinstall apache.

However, the effectiveness of this technique to prevent people from
attacking your web server, I would have to agree with Kurt. Many attacks
by automated scripts are purely shotgun approaches, not caring what web
server your running.

However, there are times when limiting the amount of information
disclosed by your system in a good idea. All depends on the level of
security you feel you need.

Regards,

Jeremiah-