WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: vbscript

From: Marco Aldegheri <marco2 () argentea it>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 11:18:10 +0100

I don' know about a vbscript implementation of the MD5 algoritm but,
if you are using vbscript server side in ASP based web applications and you need an MD5 function you can easily include a _javascript_ MD5 implementation code (easy to find on the internet) at the top of your asp page and use the MD5 function as it would have been written in vbscript.

Example:

example.asp file:
---------------------------------
<%<!-- #INCLUDE FILE="md5.inc" -->
pippomd5=MD5(pippo)
... %>
---------------------------------

md5.inc included file:
---------------------------------
<SCRIPT RUNAT=SERVER Language="JavaScript">
function MD5(anystring)
{....
}
---------------------------------

The 1996 Henri Torgemane MD5 javascript implementation seemed to work well.
Another more efficient way is to create a COM component compiling an easily available C source code and call it from the vbscript source.

Hope it helps...

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody in the newsgroup for the interesting postings.

ing. Marco Aldegheri, CISSP

Cade Cairns wrote:
Hello list,

I am looking for resources related to vbscript security and was hoping
some of you might have some to share. Also, I am curious if anyone might
have some idea of how to generate even weak cryptographic quality random
numbers or knowledge of a good MD5 implementation. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Cade Cairns