WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Fail Open Authentication and Parameter Injection

From: "Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg)" <rdawes () deloitte co za>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:09:58 +0200

I'll give a real world case which I found.

A web app was using the following comparison for chacking passwords :

and password like "$password%";

Don't ask me why they thought this was a good idea, I just know that they
did it.

Even providing the first character of the password would have been
sufficient, but I chanced upon it when the client sent me a wrapped url with
the password parameter on the next line:

E.g. please start here: http://www.blah.com/mylogin.asp?username=myname
&password=password

When I clicked on the URL (intending to paste the rest once the browser had
started up), I was logged in!

Bizarre, but true!

An example of parameter injection:

A web app that allows you to execute a traceroute from the web server to an
arbitrary destination.

Takes an IP address as input, and executes something like:

/bin/sh -c "traceroute $ip > file"

Then reads file in, and includes it in the web page it displays to you.

Provide something like:

192.168.1.1 > /dev/null ; cat /etc/shadow

And with any luck, you will get the shadow file from the server instead of
the traceroute output.

Rogan