WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: SQL Injection Basics

From: "Logan F.D. Greenlee" <lgreenlee () ciretose net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:07:48 -0500

Robert is quite right.
        The best way to prevent SQL Injection attacks in ASP is to use a
stored procedure and a Command object to call it. Specifically the
syntax would look something like the following (it isn't tested):

        set conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
        conn.ConnectionString = "Provider"
        set comm=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
        comm.CommandText="spTest"
        comm.CommandType=adCmdStoredProc
        set parameters = comm.Parameters
        parameters.Append comm.CreateParameter("@InputTestOne", adChar,
adParamInput, 50)
        comm("@InputTestOne") = "TestOne"
        ' Some Result Set Operation here
        conn.close

The Command object prevents in valid characters from entering the
database. Clearly you must rely on the quality of the drivers that
connect to the database. If the scrubbing and escaping is flawed in the
Command object then the web application is at risk.
        Not only does this technique prevent invalid characters causing
query failure and/or injection attacks, it helps performance of the web
app and offloads complex processing tasks to the database server. Other
benefits include enforcing character limits at the database, a second
level of protection for people wishing to Break Things.
        This method is available in most mature web
application/scripting environments.

-Logan