WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Mozilla Pheonix Prevents XSS ?

From: securityarchitect () hush com
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:57:11 -0800

There has been a lot of discussion recently about ways to prevent XSS client-side and seems MS have made some HTML
extensions to mark frames safe from scripting a while back in IE. This got me thinking that given the browser runs a
known JavaScript interpreter it would seem sensible to intercept certain function calls and prevent them from running.
Sure enough on investigation the Mozilla Pheonix browser does exactly this. There is a setting that you can enable that
prevents JavaScript from reading cookies.

Has anyone tested it? Seems like a great idea.

PS I see the OWASP filters project have some Java code in the CVS for preventing XSS at the server-side. Anyone know
when it will be finished and when other languages will be available?