WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Securing OWA on public computers.

From: "Alexander" <agtads () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:04:45 -0600

I've thought that context of the group preclude understanding of my message
as lamer quesion about "Where is "Clean the cache" button located?".
The question was really about securing corporate OWA deployment from the
point of view of security consultant.
I'm looking to mitigate risks assocated with standard (not hostile) public
computers and normal users using them, users who never clean cache yourself
after use.
Sure keylogger, forensic drive recovery etc will obtain data, but this is
beyond my risk range.
I know it's easy to say - "Don't use it", but reality is different.

Back to the problem. While connecting through HTTPS most browsers don't
cache HTML, but cache attachments when they open.
Solutions I see by now are:
1. Block attachments in OWA access (almost business prohibitable)
2. Convert attachment on server to HTML. In such case the risk of attachment
disclosure will be downgraded to message text disclosure.
While it's possible for me to code this (for major types of attachment) I'd
like to know if any existing package provide this functionality.
3. Client side scripting to force on attachment click: Download file to disk
a: only and open file from there.
Drawbacks are obvious and not clear how to code at least for IE and
Netscape.
4. Some way to call into object model to clean cache on exit - I do have
hope that users will close open windows :)
5. Legal disclaimers to transfer risk.

Any better ideas?

Regards