WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: "Forgot Password" function

From: Haroon Meer <haroon () sensepost com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:29:09 +0200 (SAST)

ehlo

"Enter your email address, and we will email you your password" is also
inherently stupid (without ensuring that the entered email address matches
the one on record)

If you going to use the one on record.. then why ask the user to enter it
anyway? (just gives an atacker somthing else to aim at) If you must use
this method, then ask for his username, and send the pass to the email
address u have..

Haroon Meer                                                         MH
SensePost Information Security                          +27 83786 6637
PGP : http://www.sensepost.com/pgp/haroon.txt     haroon () sensepost com