WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Secure Coding for Newbies?

From: security () pablowe net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:40:26 -0500 (EST)

RATS, a freely available code auditing tool, is available for download at
http://www.securesoftware.com/download_form_rats.htm .  This audits PHP,
Perl, Python, etc... for common security vulnerabilities.

I would suggest "Building Secure Software", by Viega and McGraw.
Published by Addison Wesley, this book provides a faily broad overview
with good examples.

Hi,

I'm a beginner in PHP and Perl coding and would like a little help!
I've
written a few small scripts for personal use, but I want to start
writing scripts that will be used by / open to the public, and want to
write them with security in the forefront.

I'm having a hard time finding specific, concrete examples of common
webapp security problems and examples of how to avoid them.  Many sites
say "validate user input" or "avoid path traversal" or "beware of
include files" but don't give good examples of *how* I'm supposed to do
these things!

I guess I'm looking for something along the lines of "Webapp Security
for
Dummies" as a building block.  Can anybody point to useful resources for
this?  The OWASP guide seems to be more of a guide for competent coders
who already know how to avoid the problems listed.  :)

Thanks!

Fight the power!  BlazeMail.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you () yourchoice com
w/No
Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag