WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: post to bugtraq about "session fixation"

From: Cesar <cesarc56 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:00:19 -0800 (PST)

You are right. It is an interesting and well written
paper.
But there is a wrong statement in paper, Microsoft
Internet Information Server is NOT "Strict", is a kind
of "Permissive" it will accept some proposed cookie
SessionID and i will create a new session.

Cesar.

--- "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
wrote:

securityarchitect () hush com said:

This is nothing new (although a good write-up).

IMHO, we need more "good write-ups" on most
vulnerability classes.
Research doesn't have to be 100% original to be
important.  When
Clowes/etc. released the Study in Scarlet paper,
some PHP bugs were
"nothing new," but the paper crystalizes many of the
major issues in
PHP applications that we're seeing over and over
again (thanks to the
diligence of people like frog man ;-) The same thing
applies to
aleph1's buffer overflow paper, the Newsham/etc.
study on format
strings, and so on.  But where is the "definitive"
paper on directory
traversal?  Canonicalization?  The general
"malformed input" problem?
A taxonomy of configuration errors? etc.  There are
still major gaps.

Such papers can form the basic "literature" for this
emerging field of
vulnerability research.  They take scattered
knowledge, none of which
is known to everyone, and collect it into a single
source to form a
basic but solid understanding of the problem.  (As
an example of
scattered knowledge, I'm still wondering if anybody
else thinks that
the vulnerability in the obscure AlienForm2 product
was a new type of
canonicalization issue - though maybe *that's*
"nothing new," but it's
new to me).

- Steve