WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: XSS and URL Encoded Session IDs

From: Ryan Yagatich <ryany () pantek com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 06:21:38 -0500 (EST)

BF,
        Here's my thought on this, and though it may not be the best
solution, it is at least _a_ solution.

Looking at this from the more objective POV, I see the 'problem' as being
'How do I get the SessionID'.

Well, I'm not big on the ASP/IIS side of things, but I have noticed a
trend in a few ways of getting that information.

Q) How does the client get the SessionID?
A) The client can either get the SessionID from a cookie that is placed on
their system (i.e. ASPSESSION='...'), or the server embeds the SID in HREF
links on the page.

So, there are 2 places you could write code, either
A) accept the cookie, extract the SessionID
B) retrieve a URL and get the SessionID from the parsed string.

Both which would take either 2-3 different steps.

Thanks,
Ryan Yagatich
\ Ryan Yagatich                     support () pantek com \
/ Pantek Incorporated                  (877) LINUX-FIX /
\ http://www.pantek.com                 (440) 519-1802 \
\___E8354282324E636DB5FF7B8A6EDED51FD02C06C68D3DB695___\