WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Apache module: mod_security

From: zeno <bugtraq () cgisecurity net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:13:15 -0500 (EST)

Bill Burge wrote:
After a cursory glance, other than removing a some abstraction
 > and making configuration a little more straight forward; I'm not
 > sure how this differs from what can be done with mod_rewrite.

   One major feature: it filters POST payloads, too. There is no
   point of having any kind of web application firewall if you
   allow attackers to attack you via POST.

   The other major feature (at least to me) is the full (POST
   included) audit log.

Thanks I've been searching for this for awhile. I know I'll be using this :)
I know it isn't just you a few people I've spoken with have been searching for full POST
data logging without needing to write their own mod.

   And (I am trying really hard now :), it can also filter
   individual parameters. For example, if you have something
   like:

   script.php?title=value1&content=value2

   with a rule

   SecFilterSelective ARGS|!ARG_content "<( |\n)+>"

   You can allow HTML to come through variable "content" but
   not through "title".

That is VERY nice :)

- zeno () cgisecurity com