WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: JSP Security - Limiting URL's

From: "Jeff Williams @ Aspect" <jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 21:10:46 -0500

If you have a site (or part of a site) where users are supposed to
access pages in a particular order, this is THE way to solve the
problem. I call this "flow control" as opposed to access control.
Essentially, you set up a state machine on the server side that controls
the transition to the next page. One nice side-effect is that there only
a single URL for the entire site.

The biggest downside to this model is that you can't just link into any
page within the site. The only way to certain pages is to go through all
the steps.  This will also make it difficult for spiders to index your
site, as some of them give up when many pages share the same URL. In
addition, you are quite likely to have problems with the 'web
application firewall' products, as many use the URL as a key for what
policy to enforce.

So, the article is right on.  I do have a few minor comments below on
the implementation.

I found the author's implementation a little difficult to follow. Trying
to centralize the state machine can make things within a web app real
complicated. I think a more OO way is to implement put each page in
charge of deciding which pages can send requests to it.  Of course this
depends on the size and complexity of the state machine and how often
you think it'll change.

If you look closely at the article, you'll see that the author had to
work hard to deal with the "multiple window" problem.  State machines
don't like getting requests out of order, so if you have two windows
open at the same time, everything gets botched up. The author invented a
"smID" parameter that has to go on every page to deal with this -- then
calls it a "feature."

--Jeff

Jeff Williams
jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com