WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Web single sign-on

From: "Simon Cunningham" <simon.cunningham () triosec com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 20:26:38 -0000

Marty

It depends upon what your SSO requirements are.  Whilst SSO aptly describes
the user experience is can mean a whole heap of different things when it
comes to implementing a solution.

Do you want SSO from the desktop ?
Are all the applications built on the same infrastructure ?
Does the portal connect to 3rd party apps with their own authentication and
authorisation schemes ?

The problem with attempting an in-house solution is that it might turn out
to be considerably more complicated than it first appears.  In-house is OK
if you go in with your eyes open and have the appropriate expertise but
temporary in-house should be avoided.  Temporary has a habit of become
permanent and then you're stuck with a something that was never designed for
scalability, flexibility and security.

If you're going to buy something then take a look at the SAML standard
(www.oasis-open.org).  There are numerous vendors involved in that project
who will be able to help out with solutions that fit with your WebSphere /
LDAP environment.

Simon