WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Sequence Identification Routines?

From: "Tony Welsh" <lists () evolvedcode net>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 20:18:11 -0000

Nick,

Might be off on a tangent to what you are looking for but there are a
batch of tests called "DieHard" which are widely touted to be able to
analyse PRNGs - assuming the code is random and not a checksum they may
be some help in working to identify the type of sequence or engine in
use;

http://stat.fsu.edu/~geo/

Be warned that although I have managed to get the code running in the
past I seem to remember it taking a bit of effort...  That said though
I'm sure a quick google might turn up some modern variants.

Regards
Tony