WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: IIS session cookies

From: Takayuki Nakamura <naka () gtisec net>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 13:43:41 +0900

hello.

The following is quoted from microsoft website.
# I couldn't find any information on ASP SessionID other than this.
# This document was written on April 2, 1997 :(

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnasp/html/aspwsm.asp
-----------
The following steps are taken when generating ASP session cookies:

- Session ID values are 32-bit long integers.
- Each time the Web server is restarted, a random Session ID starting value is selected.
- For each ASP session that is created, this Session ID value is incremented.
- The 32-bit Session ID is mixed with random data and encrypted to generate a 16-character cookie string. Later, when a
- cookie is received, the Session ID can be restored from the 16-character cookie string (ASPSESSIONID).
- The encryption key used is randomly selected each time the Web server is restarted.

- naka  <naka () gtisec net>

Cade Cairns wrote:
Hello webappsec,

I'm looking for information on how IIS session cookies are formed (that
is, what data they consist of or how they are encoded, etc.)  Is anyone
aware of any papers or resources on the subject?

Thanks,

Cade Cairns
Symantec Corporation