WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Hijacking URL Encoded Session IDs using Referer Logs

From: Craig_Sullivan () Waitrose co uk
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:45:46 +0000

Hmmm,

I've long advocated not allowing session IDs in URLs *unless* they are
supplemented with additional authentication or cookies.

Quite simply, if you encode the security equivalence of the browser in a
URL you are open to:

(a) Replay attacks from the history file
(b) Sniffing attacks
(c) Logfile analysis attacks
(d) Replay of bookmarks/links

The clients I have worked with always rely upon additional information (in
the form of cookies) when verifying the session ID.  In addition, many of
them implement systems that employ two separate session tracking systems -
one for the general state management issue and the second for the business
of checking 'that this was the same browser instance that authenticated
itself earlier in the session and not somebody else'.  All use of the
second state management system is encrypted.......

I've developed a system called the '3 cookie' tracking system but it won't
work without cookies being enabled.  Quite frankly, if cookies aren't
enabled, I can't provide a secure mechanism for my clients to handle
verification of identity along with a state management system.  It is worth
mentioning that in several months use of such a system, there were a
minimal number of 'no we don't do cookies' systems that arrived on the
site.  I value security more highly than the often touted position of
ensuring that disabled cookie systems can have a fallback.

My fallback is to ensure it doesn't work but at least highlights this to
the visitor.

Craig.

Notice:  This email is confidential and may contain
copyright material of the John Lewis Partnership.
If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify us immediately and delete all copies of this
message.  (Please note that it is your responsibility
to scan this message for viruses).

John Lewis plc                  Registered in England 233462
Registered office               171 Victoria Street London SW1E 5NN

Websites: http://www.johnlewis.com and http://www.waitrose.com