Vulnwatch mailing list archives

Dell TrueMobile Wireless Help Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

From: Ian Vitek <ian.vitek () sigtrap org>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:33:04 +0100 (CET)

Dell TrueMobile Wireless Help Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

Overview
--------
Successful exploitation elevates the local user rights to SYSTEM. This may only be considered a threat on a multi user
system (Terminal Services, Citrix or a public computer).

Verified systems
----------------
Windows XP and Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card Utility Tray Applet Version 3.10.39.0.
Other operating systems and versions may be vulnerable.

Description
-----------
The SYSTEM rights are not dropped when accessing the Dell TrueMobile Wireless Help from the systray applet. By right
clicking and choosing Help -> Help Files and then from the help; Jump to URL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CMD.EXE, gives you
SYSTEM privileges. You can also gain SYSTEM privileges by right clicking and choosing Help -> About. By clicking on a
link, Internet Explorer will start with SYSTEM privileges. Programs started from the web browser do not get their
privileges dropped.

Vendor contacts
---------------
Feb 21 2004 02:08
From: csd at dell dot com
To: dell at sigtrap dot org
"Please ensure that your customer account or order/invoice number
is included with your reply."

Feb 21 2004 02:52
From: dell at sigtrap dot org
To: uscemcsd1 at dell dot com
"You (Dell) have a security problem in your (Dells) software.
Detailed description below.
I don't have any problem.
If you (Dell) want to close this case, please do, but contact me ( dell at sigtrap dot org  ) first."

Feb 21 2004 15:54
From: csd at dell dot com
To: dell at sigtrap dot org
"I apologize, but I am unable to locate your account under this
e-mail address."

Dell tracking number: AT20040220_0000021076

Credit
------
Discovered by Ian Vitek