Vulnwatch mailing list archives

Re: Opentype font file causes Windows to restart.

From: tiinam () cse unsw edu au (Tiina Anita Muukkonen)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:13:11 +1100

quoth Andrew on this day of Our Lord:

| The attached OpenType font file will cause Windows to restart
| immediately when the file is opened by the default viewer (fontview).
| I doubt anyone would suspect a "harmless" little font file of being
| able to cause such a thing to happen!

 I ran strings over it:

OTTO
CFF D@
eOS/2^^\
`cmap
$head
6hhea
$hmtx
maxp
name
post
restarter
restarter
NONE
Copyright 2003. All rights reserved.restarterRegular1.000;NONE;restarterOTF 1.000;PS 001.001;Core 1.0.29Please refer to
the Copyright section for the font trademark attribution notices.

 and then entered 'restarter' into Google, which returned information on a
 trojan called restarter that does just that. Sophos and Symantec have
 descriptions of somewhat different versions of the trojan.

 godspeed,

 Tiina Muukkonen
 System Administrator, CSE, UNSW
--
"When I was seven, my parents moved to Texas.                   ________
 When I was nine, I found them." Steve Wright         (__)     /        \