Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Is the memory map of a process different when executed in GDB?

From: "Florencio Cano" <florencio.cano () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:43:57 +0200

Hi,
I'm beggining studying deeply exploits. Now I have a problem. I'm
trying a return-to-libc exploit but I get a segmentation fault when
executed in the terminal and I get the code correctly executed when I
run it inside GDB. Does GDB alter the memory map of a process when
executed inside it? In which way? Where I can read info about this?
This is the problem:

fcano@gohan ~/ShellcodersHandbook/code/ch02 $ ./ret2libc 609 1776
Using address: 0xbfffeb08
fcano@gohan ~/ShellcodersHandbook/code/ch02 $ ./victim $BUF
Segmentation fault
fcano@gohan ~/ShellcodersHandbook/code/ch02 $ gdb ./victim
GNU gdb 6.7.1
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) r $BUF
Starting program: /home/fcano/ShellcodersHandbook/code/ch02/victim $BUF
sh-3.2$

Any ideas?