Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

5 char XSS?

From: "Kristian Erik Hermansen" <kristian.hermansen () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:36:54 -0700

Just been noticing all the talk about Obama and Clinton sites and how
the media keeps making a big deal out of all these XSS vulns, heh.
However, I have a rather technical question about what, if anything,
you can do when you have such a small buffer to exploit XSS?  Check
out this one I found and is not listed by xssed.com for
hillaryclinton.com.  You only get 5 chars to inject.  So, are there
any tricks that could possibly be used to expand the limitation via
perhaps some unicode kung-fu here?  Dunno, but thought it might be
insteresting bring up because this is a common scenario in zip code
search fields.  The fix for Clinton is as simple as whitelisting the
input field set to [0-9]...

http://www.hillaryclinton.com/actioncenter/event/?mt=0&d=250&z=%22%3EXSS&s=z&EventSearchAndResults%3A_ctl0.x=0&EventSearchAndResults%3A_ctl0.y=0

Regards,
--