Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Exotic vulnerability

From: joxeankoret <joxeankoret () yahoo es>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:23:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm trying to develop an exploit for a product in which I found a
vulnerability and that is the most "exotic" one I found. The following C
source recreates the vulnerability:

#include <stdio.h>

void func(int var)
{
        __asm__("mov (%eax), %eax");
        __asm__("call *%eax");

        return;
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
int i;

        printf("Value is 0x%x\n", atoi(argv[1]));
        i = atoi(argv[1]);
        func(i);
}

When the process calls the function "func" EAX has the value stored in the
variable "i", next the process makes the call "mov (%eax), %eax" and next
calls %eax. I have not be found a way to exploit it.

Any ideas in how can be exploited to execute arbitrary code? BTW, I'm trying
to exploit it under Linux x86.

Thanks!
Joxean Koret