Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Beating memory address randomization (secuirty) features in Unix/Linux

From: Yves Younan <yyounan () fort-knox org>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:03:30 +0200

There is a paper called 'On the Effectiveness of Address-Space Randomization' (http://www.stanford.edu/~blp/papers/asrandom.pdf) by Shacham et al. which was presented at CCS 2004. It shows that the randomization on 32-bit systems is not as effective as people would imagine and describes an attack on PaX's ASLR.

- YY